Jun 1, 2012

The Weight of the Nation!

Twenty two years ago today, I became the owner of The Healthy Weigh. June 1, 1990!  I had been working in the weight loss business for over 9 years at that time and it seemed only natural that I would continue to run the business when the owner of the company stepped away. I have spent the last 31 years dedicated to helping people not only lose weight, but live their best lives. I have to admit that over the last 30 years, I have felt somewhat alone in my efforts to make a difference.  Until yesterday...

Last night I was invited to attend a showing of one of the episodes of the HBO series The Weight of the Nation.  Kaiser Permanente and Clark County Public Health, hosted the event. The room was full of non-profit organizations and community groups that are dedicated to making a difference in our great nation...starting right here in Clark County. Especially with our children.

The obesity epidemic demands every ones attention. Obesity contributes to five of the 10 leading causes of death in America, including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer and stroke. In the United States today, more than three in 10 children and adolescents, and more than two of every three adults, are over weight or obese.

The Weight of the Nation offers an unflinching look at the severity of the crisis and its crippling effects on health and health care. Three years in the making, The Weight of the Nation is one of the most far-reaching public health campaigns on this epidemic to date, comprising four documentary films, a three-part HBO family series, a website and social media campaign, and a nation wide outreach campaign to more the 40,000 community organizations.

Thursday night's event was an effort to connect people with resources and information, promote the great work that is already being done in Clark County and develop awareness for this concern.

I sat in the room last night feeling proud of what I've spent the last 30 years doing... caring about the weight of the nation.  I felt hopeful that together as a nation, we really can make a difference for the next generation, and I felt relieved that finally our country is facing this very serious epidemic head on!

Here is a list of resources to help you learn more about what's happening in our county and our nation and to help you spread the word.

www.letsmove.gov  (Let's Move Clark County)

CONNECT
facebook.com/theweightofthenation

TAKE ACTION. LEARN MORE
hbo.com/theweightofthenation

SHARE
youtube.com/hbodocs

Over my 30 years of teaching healthy life styles, I've heard many a client tell me that I was trying to "fight against everything that is happening in America."  As I "preached" healthy eating, limiting calories, saying no thank you to over indulgence and moving more, it seemed that I was fighting a up hill battle.  America...welcome to the war! I'm so glad to be fighting with you!

Sixty years ago, people littered with indifference, seal belts weren't an option, and smoking was the norm. Collectively, the nation managed to recognize those problems and reverse those trends, raising up a new generation that recycles, buckles up, and sees smoking as a serious health risk. Obesity is a health concern, a social dilemma, a personal challenge, an economic burden, and a policy issue. Every one of us has the capacity to bring about change in at least one of those arenas, and working together, if we lose enough, we can win.

Happy, Happy Anniversary Healthy Weigh!!

Always encouraging you,
Letha






No comments: