Nov 30, 2012

Walk & Knock for the Hungry

Today I'm filling up my brown paper bag with items to feed the hungry. I'm always a little bit convicted as I fill my "Walk & Knock" bag each year with food I'll never miss.

I can't help but think about hunger, and question myself as to whether or not I've ever really been hungry.

I visit with clients every week who are afraid that they'll be hungry if they eat 3 servings of protein, 4 servings of vegetables, 3 servings of fruit, 2 servings of starch and 2 servings of milk...every day.

Hunger is defined as; a discomfort caused by a need for food.
I guess the next question I'd have to ask my self is... what is the need? Is my need for food related to physical hunger or something else?

With so many families being effected by the struggling economy and the storms across the US, this year,  more than ever, it feels so good to give.

University of Oregon recently did a study about giving. They gave 20 women, $100 each, then tracked their brain activity as they watched the women parcel out money to local charities. The good deeds increased activity in the brain areas associated with enjoying good food and sexual activity. I guess if you want a warm glow...give often!

We live in a part of town that doesn't have a front door pick up like some others.  I'll be dropping off my donation at the Fire District 6 Salmon Creek station!  I encourage you to do the same this weekend.

Visit http://www.walkandknock.org for more information.

Always encouraging you,
Letha

No comments: